Mannes College The New School for Music is The New School university's music conservatory. While the university's main campus is located in Greenwich Village
, New York City
, Mannes maintains its main academic building on the Upper West Side
Originally called The David Mannes Music School, it was founded in 1916 by David Mannes, concertmaster of the New York
Symphony Orchestra and Clara Damrosch, sister of Walter Damrosch, then conductor of that orchestra. Originally housed on East 70th Street (later occupied by the Dalcroze School), the campus was created out of three brownstones on East 74th St, in Manhattan's Upper East Side.
In 1989 Mannes joined The New School, comprising eight schools (including Parsons School of Design, Eugene Lang College, and the New School for Drama). In 2005 Mannes changed its name to Mannes College the New School for Music.
Techniques of Music
The Techniques of Music program is the foundation for academic musical study at Mannes, encompassing the range of elementary to advanced music theory and aural skills classes.
Though music theory was taught at Mannes from its inception, a major turning point occurred in 1931 with the hiring of Hans Weisse, one of the leading students of Heinrich Schenker. Over the following nine years, Weisse promoted not just the study of Schenkerian Analysis but the incorporation of it into the musical life of the school, including performance and composition.
In 1940, Weisse died unexpectedly and was replaced by Felix Salzer. Salzer, also a student of Schenker, built upon Weisse's foundation by reorganizing the theory program into the Techniques of Music department. The philosophy behind this move was and is to integrate musicianship, theory, and performance - which was based on Schenker's concept of the role of theory in music.Salzer's leading student, Carl Schachter, as well as his students, continued and strengthened the department.