Malbone, a Gothic-style castle and National Historic Place originally built in 1741 (although the current house dates largely from 1848). The estate is one of the oldest privately owned estates in Newport, Rhode Island.
The estate once served as the country residence of Colonel Godfrey Malbone (1695-1768) of Virginia and Connecticut. Colonel Malbone made his fortune as a shipping merchant and became one of the wealthiest men in Newport during the 1740s through privateering and the triangle trade.
Malbone Estate had some of the foremost gardens in North America during the 18th and 19th centuries. Situated on 17 acres (69,000 m2) and designed between 1848–1850 by the architectural theorist Andrew Jackson Downing, a prominent advocate of the Gothic revival style, the gardens consist of gravel and brick pathways with borders of boxwoods, and artificial fish, duck and stone lined reflection ponds.
The grounds also include the largest private collection of beech trees in the northeast, terraces displaying marble and bronze sculpture, a park of fine specimen trees and a lavish lower garden featuring marble pavilions, fountains, a sunken garden, and carriage house and garage.
The ruin was all that remained of the substantial country house built in 1741 by Malbone. Reconstruction was completed in 1849. The home remained in the same family for over 130 years and served as the summer residence of the Morris family, a prominent family from New York, who held positions of social and political prominence in America and Newport since the 18th century.
In 1978, Malbone was bequeathed to the Preservation Society of Newport County by the Morris family, and was subsequently purchased by the Leach family of Providence, Rhode Island.