Southport is a town in Lincoln County, Maine, United States. It includes the villages of Southport, West Southport, Cape Newagen, and Squirrel Island. Cape Newagen, at the southern tip of the island, was an early European fishing outpost. Southport was part of Boothbay until it separated on February 12, 1842. Originally called Townshend after Lord Townshend, the name was changed to Southport in 1850. It is crossed by state routes 27 and 238. It is connected by bridge to Boothbay Harbor. According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 13.9 square miles(36 square km)of which, 5.4 square miles (14 square km) of it is land and 8.5 square miles(22 square km) of it (61.22%) is water. Southport is on Southport Island in the mouth of the Sheepscot River. The Town of Southport constitutes the whole of Southport Island.