Kaplan is a small city in Vermilion Parish, Louisiana, United States. It is part of the Abbeville Micropolitan Statistical Area. In 1896, the Holy Rosary Catholic Church was established in the growing European-American settlement. Most of the people were Acadian, so the main language was French. The town was named after Abrom Kaplan, who bought the Jim Todd Plantation in 1901. The town Kaplan grew quickly and was established in 1902. The following year, residents created the first school.