Lincolnville is a town in Waldo County, Maine, United States. Lincolnville is the mainland terminal for state ferry service to Islesboro. Approximately 10,000 years ago, a glacier covered the area to a depth of several thousand feet, carving irregular landforms that survive today. The earliest artifact of European origin was fragments of a 1650-1660 clay pipe, probably a trade good with the native population. First settled in 1774, the town was incorporated in 1802 from Canaan and Ducktrap plantations. It was named for General Benjamin Lincoln, landowner.