The site of Lawrenceburg was settled in the early 1780s by a German immigrant named Jacob Kaufman and was first called Kaufman's (or Coffman's) Station. The post office was established January 22, 1817 with Jeremiah A. Matthews as first postmaster and named Lawrenceburgh, for William Lawrence, a local tavern owner. The community was incorporated as Lawrence in 1820 by the Court of Franklin County (of which it was then a part) but renamed Lawrenceburg in 1827. William Lawrence, with his father-in-law, Samuel Arbuckle, was one of the principal developers of the new community. Lawrenceburg is a city in Anderson County, Kentucky, United States. The population was 10,505 at the 2010 census. It is the county seat of Anderson County. Lawrenceburg is part of the Frankfort, Kentucky micropolitan statistical area.