Kennesaw Battlefield Park, at 905 Kennesaw Mountain Drive between Marietta and Kennesaw, Georgia, preserves a Civil War battleground of the Atlanta Campaign, and also contains Kennesaw Mountain. The name Kennesaw is derived from the Cherokee Indian gah-nee-sah meaning cemetery, or burial ground.
Established as Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Site on February 8, 1917, it was transferred from the War Department on August 10, 1933, and redesignated a national battlefield park on June 26, 1935. As with all historic areas administered by the National Park Service, the park was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1966.
Kennesaw Mountain Battlefield is a 2,923-acre (11.83 km2) National Battlefield that preserves a Civil War battleground of the Atlanta Campaign. There are 3 battlefield areas: In front of the Visitor Center, off Burnt Hickory Road and the main site is located at Cheatham Hill. At the southern tip of the park Peter Valentine Kolb's farm house where a minor battle was fought has been restored to its original condition. The visitor center provides introductory information about the Battlefield and the battle. While walking some of the 17.3 miles (27.8 km) of interpretive walking trails you will see historic earthworks, cannon emplacements and various interpretive signs. There are 3 monuments representing states who fought here. Kennesaw Mountain is 1,808 feet (551 m) above sea level. It is approximately a 700-foot (210 m) incline from the Visitor Center to the mountain's summit. The hike up is approximately 1.4 miles (2.3 km) on the road and 1.2-mile (1.9 km) up the trail.