Kaupo is one of the districts of ancient Hawaii (moku in the Hawaiian language) of Maui island in Hawaii. Kaupo is a very remote and sparsely populated sustainable ranching community.
Kaupo is located along the southeastern shore of Maui, west of Kipahulu along the Kahikinui coastline. Kaupo is located on a very rugged and desolate side of the island. The Kahikinui Forest Reserve is located in the area, as well as a section of Haleakalā National Park. A trail leads from near the summit of Haleakalā through Kaupo Gap.
Kaupo was "Wahipana" (Special Place) for ancient Hawaiians. In the early 1900s many families lived in Kaupo. Fishing, farming, hunting and ranching were primary occupations. In 1859 the district was combined with that of Hana. The Huialoha Church is located in the district.