Juan Pablo Duarte Square is a 0.45-acre (0.18 ha) triangular plot in New York City by Sullivan Street, Grand Street, and the Avenue of the Americas at the intersection with Canal Street. The New York State Department of Transportation first developed it and maintained it. In 1975 benches, trees and sidewalks were added to the square.
The New York City Department of Parks and Recreation took control of the square on May 26, 1977. A year later, on the 165th anniversary of Duarte’s birth, January 26, 1978, the Consulate of the Dominican Republic dedicated a statue of Juan Pablo Duarte in the square. Duarte was a patriot and intellectual leader who helped create the concept of the Dominican Republic and orchestrate its independence in 1844. Italian sculptor Nicola Arrighini designed the thirteen-foot bronze figure, which today rests atop an eight-foot granite base. This statue is one of a group of six other monuments to Latin American leaders throughout the Avenue of the Americas.
A lot to the west of the park, also known as Duarte Square, is owned primarily by Trinity Wall Street, a parish of the Episcopal Diocese of New York, and as of 2011 fenced off and leased for a non-profit arts program. This plot has been targeted by the Occupy Wall Street organization as a new campsite, with occupation of the property called for on December 17, 2011. On Saturday, December 17, after demonstrating in Duarte Park and marching on the streets surrounding the park, occupiers climbed over and under the fence. Police responded by arresting about 50 demonstrators, including at least one Episcopal bishop.