The Isaiah Davenport house is a historic home in Savannah, Georgia that is operated as a historic house museum by the Historic Savannah Foundation. It is located at 324 East State Street, on the northwest corner of Columbia Square. The Federal-style dwelling neared completion in 1820 and first appeared on the tax rolls 1821. Masterbuilder Isaiah Davenport, a native of New England, designed and built the home as a dwelling for his growing household as well as a demonstration of his building skills. The 1820 Federal-style dwelling was built by upwardly mobile artisan Isaiah Davenport and his crew for his growing household, which included his wife, children, and slaves.
It was his family home until his death in 1827 when his wife, Sarah Clark Davenport, converted it into a boarding house. She lived in the residence on Columbia Square until 1840 when she sold it to the Baynard family of South Carolina. The house remained in their hands for the next 109 years. As time passed, the once stately home in a fashionable neighborhood became a rundown rooming house in a seedy part of town. Even in an advanced state of neglect, New Deal surveyors recognized the architectural significance of the home when they identified and measured it for the Historic American Buildings Survey in the 1930s. Threatened with demolition in 1955, a group of community-spirited citizens joined forces to purchase the Davenport House.