The city was named after Lamoni, a pacifist king mentioned in the Book of Mormon. Church headquarters relocated to the emerging community in 1881 and Joseph Smith III made Liberty Hall his home. Four church presidents of the Community of Christ (then called the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints) lived in Liberty Hall. The church was headquartered in Lamoni, Iowa, and Liberty Hall was a center of social and religious life for the community. During the next 60 years, Liberty Hall served as a home for the aged, a farmhouse, CCC Headquarters, and a private residence.