Indiana University South Bend is the third largest campus of the Indiana University system. It is popularly known as IUSB or IU South Bend. It is located in South Bend, Indiana, in St. Joseph County, Indiana. Indiana University began offering classes in South Bend in 1916 as an extension of the main campus of Indiana University Bloomington. In the Depression, the superintendent of South Bend schools asked that more classes be added for those who could not afford to attend the Bloomington campus.
The classes were offered at Central High School in downtown South Bend and within a few years enrollment reached 500. Classes were taught by local high school teachers with master's degrees and occasionally by Bloomington faculty who traveled once a week for class. The university appointed a resident director in 1940. Lynton Keith Caldwell, then a graduate student at the University of Chicago, took on the job.