Hayward Field in Eugene, Oregon, is one of the best-known historic track and field stadiums in the United States. Nearly a century in age, it was the home of the University Of Oregon's football team from 1919 through 1966, and has been the home to the Ducks' track and field teams since 1921. Hayward Field was named after track coach Bill Hayward, who ran the Ducks' program from 1904 to 1947. Renovated in 2004, it is one of only four International Association of Athletic Federations Class 1 certified tracks in the United States (along with Hutsell-Rosen Track, Icahn Stadium, John McDonnell Field)
Hayward was built in 1919 to replace Kincaid Field, and was intended to primarily serve the school's football program. In 1921, a six-lane cinder track was constructed around the football field. By the mid-1960s, the football team had outgrown the venue and moved to the new Autzen Stadium in September 1967, and Hayward Field became a facility solely for track and field. Its track was widened to eight lanes in 1970 and converted to an all-weather surface. The track was converted to metric in 1988, its lap length reduced 2.336 m (7 ft. 8 in.) from 440 yards (402.336 m) to 400 meters. In addition, a 200 m warmup track was added to the south of the main track, along with a new hammer throw area and a weight room facility. A state-of-the-art scoreboard was added in 1991, which gave unofficial times and competitors' placings just seconds after race completion.
After a donation by Bill Bowerman, UO's longtime track coach, the 15,000-square-foot (1,400 Sq mi) Bowerman Building was added to the northwest of the track, housing locker rooms, U of O track memorabilia and the university's International Institute for Sport and Human Performance. Bowerman began a public jogging program at Hayward Field in 1963 after a visit to New Zealand, inspired by coach Arthur Lydiard. A major renovation in 2004 added a new entrance named Powell Plaza. It also moved the practice track, expanded it to 400 meters, and replaced the aging fencing bordering the complex. After Eugene was awarded the 2008 U.S. Olympic Trials, Hayward Field underwent additional renovations in 2007. Eight light poles were installed for televised night events, and the crowned infield was removed and reconfigured. A walkway was added behind the west grandstand, and a new scoreboard was installed, thanks to a donation by alumnus Phil Knight and Nike.