Green-Wood Cemetery was founded in 1838 as a rural cemetery in Brooklyn, Kings County, New York.It was granted National Historic Landmark status in 2006 by the U.S. Department of the Interior.
The chapel was completed in 1911. It was designed by the architectural firm of Warren and Wetmore, who also designed Grand Central Terminal, the Commodore Hotel, the Yale Club and many other buildings. The architecture of the chapel is a reduced version of Christopher Wren's Thomas Tower at Christ Church College in Oxford. The chapel was restored in 2001.
The Pierrepont papers deposited at the Brooklyn Historical Society contain material about the organizing of Green-Wood Cemetery.