Grand Army Plaza is the main entrance of Prospect Park, Brooklyn, New York, and consists of concentric oval rings arranged as streets, with the outer ring being the namesake Plaza Street. The inner ring was originally intended to be a circle, but it actually was arranged as a main street - Flatbush Avenue - with eight radial roads connecting: Vanderbilt Avenue; Butler Place; Saint John’s Place (twice); Lincoln Place; Eastern Parkway; Prospect Park West; Union Street; and Berkeley Place. As completed, the only streets that penetrate to the inner ring are Flatbush Avenue, Vanderbilt Avenue, Prospect Park West, Eastern Parkway, and Union Street.
The plaza includes the Soldiers' and Sailors' Arch
, Bailey Fountain
, the John F. Kennedy Monument, statues of Civil War generals Gouverneur K. Warren and Henry Warner Slocum, busts of notable Brooklyn citizens Alexander J.C. Skene and Henry W. Maxwell, and two 12-sided gazebos with "granite Tuscan columns, Guastavino vaulting, and bronze finials".
In 1975, Grand Army Plaza became a National Historic Landmark. The area around the Arch forms the largest and busiest traffic circle in Brooklyn, being the convergence of Flatbush Avenue, Vanderbilt Avenue, Eastern Parkway, Prospect Park West, and Union Street. In decades past, the circle hosted Brooklyn's "Death-O-Meter", a sign admonishing drivers to "Slow Up" and displaying a continually updated tally of traffic accident deaths in the borough.
For the past several years a popular green market/farmers market is held on the plaza in front of Prospect Park every Saturday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.. The 1920 Grand Army Plaza subway station is on the north end of the Plaza and furnishes transportation to the site and the nearby park.