The Gold Dome, a geodesic dome in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, is a landmark on the famous Route 66. It was built in 1958 and is located at the intersection of North West 23rd Street and North Classen Boulevard. It was declared eligible to be listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2002.
In 1958, the Citizens State Bank began construction. The Gold Dome building was the fifth geodesic dome constructed in the World and the first to be used as a bank. It was described as “one of the nation’s most revolutionary bank designs.” Using the geodesic dome design patented by the famous futurist and architect, Buckminster Fuller the architects for the Citizens State Bank, Bailey, Bozalis, Dickinson, and Roloff of Oklahoma City created this unusual Oklahoma City landmark. The dome is constructed of 625 panels, ranging in size from 7.5 to 11.5 feet (3.5 m) in length, 60 – 70 pounds in weight each, and spanning a diameter of 145 feet (44 m). The interior covers about 27,000 square feet.1 The Gold Dome bank was an approximately $1 million investment.
In July 2001 Bank One, which owned the Gold Dome building, applied to the Urban Design Commission (the result of 1998 efforts) for permission to demolish the building. The bank stated that the structure was too large to serve as a bank and refurbishing it would be too costly (Bank One estimated it would cost roughly $1.7 million). The bank intended to sell the property to Walgreens, which would place the new pharmacy across the street from its competitor, Eckerds.