The Gateway Sports and Entertainment Complex is a multipurpose campus located in downtown Cleveland, Ohio. It comprises two sports facilities, a transitional space known as Gateway Plaza, and two parking garages. The complex is primarily situated between East 9th Street to the east, Huron Road to the north (although Gateway North parking garage is across Huron), Ontario Street to the west, and Carnegie Avenue to the south. The sports venues are Progressive Field, which is the home of Major League Baseball's Cleveland Indians, and Quicken Loans Arena, home of the Cleveland Cavaliers of the National Basketball Association.
The complex is owned by the city and is managed by the Gateway Economic Development Corporation of Greater Cleveland. The organization's board members are appointed by county and city leaders. The ballpark and arena were the first sports facilities in the United States to be constructed simultaneously at the same location. The siblings are connected to Tower City Center and the RTA Rapid Transit system via an underground walkway.
The ballpark was completed first, opening on April 4, 1994, as Jacobs Field (now known as Progressive Field). It cost approximately $175 million to build, of which $91 million, or 52 percent, came from Indians owner Richard Jacobs. The remaining $84 million, or 48 percent, was from a 15-year sin tax. It was designed by HOK Sport (now known as Populous), a division of Hellmuth, Obata and Kassabaum. HOK designed it as a retro-modern ballpark, similar to their just-completed Oriole Park at Camden Yards in Baltimore, with asymmetrical fences of varying heights, a smaller upper deck, and stepped tiers. The ballpark was situated in a way that would showcase Cleveland's downtown skyline.