Fruitport was founded by Edward L. Craw in 1868, who platted and named it as Crawville. It was renamed Fruitport a year later when the Pere Marquette Railroad built a station there, as the town was in the middle of a fertile fruit growing area and also a port. It incorporated as a village in 1891. Fruitport is a village in Muskegon County in the U.S. state of Michigan. The community is located within Fruitport Charter Township.