Fort Frederica National Monument, on St. Simons Island, Georgia, preserves the archaeological remnants of a fort and town built by James Oglethorpe between 1736 and 1748 to protect the southern boundary of the British colony of Georgia from Spanish raids.About 630 British troops were stationed at the fort. A town of up to 500 colonial residents had grown up outside the fort; it was laid out following principles of the Oglethorpe Plan for towns in the Georgia Colony. The town was named Frederica, after Frederick, Prince of Wales, son of King George II.
The monument was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1966.In the early 18th century, Europeans called the land lying between British South Carolina and Spanish Florida the Debatable Land. Today's state of Georgia was then the center of a centuries-old imperial conflict between Spain and Britain.