Floyd's Bluff is a hill in southern Sioux City
that is named for Sergeant Charles Floyd.Floyd, who was the quartermaster for the Lewis and Clark Expedition's Corps of Discovery, was the only fatality during the expedition. The bluff was Floyd's original burial site in 1804, and is now the location of a National Historic Landmark in his honor.
The Floyd's Bluff area was settled in 1848 by William Thompson, a recent veteran of the Mexican-American War. He established a trading post, and registered the name "Floyd's Bluff" as the name for his city, which never materialized.Floyd's Bluff later became part of Sioux City with the development of the suburb of Morningside in the 1870s.