Maitland is one of the oldest incorporated suburban municipalities in Central Florida. Although the area was previously inhabited by native Americans, the town is named after Fort Maitland which was built in 1838 on the western shore of Lake Fumecheliga (later Lake Maitland) during the Second Seminole Indian War. After the war the fort was torn down and the settlement remained. This settlement came to be called Maitland. After the civil war, the area was put into extensive citrus production.