The Fitger's Brewing Company brewed beer from 1881 to 1972, making it Duluth's oldest continually-operating industry. The brewery was located at 600 East Superior Street, on Lake Superior in the U.S. state of Minnesota. The complex included ten buildings including the garage/stable (shown), which was built in 1911. Over the life of the company this building housed the horses and vehicle used to deliver the brewery's product. The first brewery in Duluth, Minnesota was started by Sidney Luce in 1857, a block and a half from the present day Fitger's site.
As the brewery grew, it was purchased in 1881 by Michael Fink, who moved the location to Superior Street, the present day site of Fitger's. Construction of the new building began September 19, 1881. Fink named the brewery Fink's Lake Superior Brewery. The brewery was completed in 1882 and included offices, sleeping quarters for employees, the facilities needed to brew beer, and its own drinking establishment called the Brewery Saloon. Lake Superior Brewery sold its first beer in August 1882. The brewery was very successful from the beginning and sold beer as far west as Aitkin, Minnesota and as far east as Thunder Bay, Ontario.
On November 11, 1882, Fink hired a young German brewmaster named August Fitger. He was a graduate from a premier German brewing school, Weihenstephan Brewing School in Munich (now part of Technical University of Munich, still the most prestigious technical university in Germany, home of many Nobel laureates, and the German equivalent of the MIT). Less than a year after he was hired, Fitger purchased half of the brewing company in April 1883 for $18,0000. It was agreed that the other half would be purchased by Percy Anneke, a native of Milwaukee and auditor and sales rep for Schlitz. Anneke was a friend of Fitger, and son of famous German-American political activist, abolitionist and feminist Mathilde Anneke and her husband Colonel Fritz Anneke. The company was renamed A. Fitger & Co./ Lake Superior Brewery.