Fishers Island, approximately 9 miles (14 km) long and 1 mile (1.6 km) wide, is located at the eastern end of Long Island Sound, 2 miles (3 km) off the southeastern coast of Connecticut across Fishers Island Sound. It is approximately 11 miles (18 km) from the tip of Long Island 1 mile from Napatree Point and, approximately 7 miles (12 km) southeast of New London, Connecticut, from which it is accessible by plane or regular ferry service.
The island has two country clubs and a yacht club as well as several beaches and a harbor.
Fishers Island Club, usually called "The Big Club," is at the island's eastern tip and is home to a Seth Raynor designed, World-class links golf course that is rated ninth on Golf Digest's 2009 list of America's 100 greatest golf courses. Historically, it was referred to as a "real course" in a July 1957 letter from President Dwight David Eisenhower to John Hay Whitney. The club also has four tennis courts, a beach club, and a members-only beachfront. The main clubhouse has two dining rooms capable of seating 250 people. There are also housing facilities for over forty employees on the island.
Hay Harbor is a smaller club on the west part of the island with a nine-hole links-style golf course with a second hole that runs along the ocean. Its tennis club has eleven clay tennis courts, a swimming pool, and a salt water swimming area affectionately called The Shark Tank. Lessons for kids and adults include tennis, golf, swimming, sailing, windsurfing and kayaking. Hay Harbor also maintains a sailing club. With the magnificent winds that swirl all around the island, sailing is a popular pastime for people summering at the island. Currently the general manager of the Hay Harbor Club is Richard Duggan.
Fishers Island Yacht Club (FIYC) holds races every Saturday during the summer. There are two active racing fleets: the International One Designs (IODs), which is composed of 33-foot (10 m) boats designed in 1936 by Bjarne Aas of Norway, and the Bullseyes, a fleet of 16-foot (4.9 m) boats designed by Nathanael Herreshoff in 1916. The club has two small buildings and is casual. It hosts several parties during the summer, as well as weekly picnic barbecues.