Findlay Market in historic Over-the-Rhine, Cincinnati, Ohio, is the state's oldest continuously operated public market. The Findlay Market Building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) on June 5, 1972. The market is the last remaining of the nine that once served Cincinnati.
Findlay Market was founded in 1852, on land donated by the estate of General James Findlay and his wife Jane Irwin Findlay. Built with the new iron framework technology, this was one of the earliest structures in the nation in which that technique was used, and one of the few remaining. The market bell from Pearl Street Market, Cincinnati's first market house, now hangs in Findlay Market's bell tower. The market is located north of downtown Cincinnati in Over-the-Rhine, an historic neighborhood known for its dense concentration of Italianate architecture. Open Tuesday through Saturday, with some vendors open on Sunday, Findlay Market has a year-round operation, with about two dozen indoor merchants selling meat, fish, poultry, produce, flowers, cheese, deli, and ethnic foods.
On Saturdays from March to December, the Market hosts a farmers' market and other outdoor vendors, street performers, and special events. The Findlay Market Opening Day Parade for the Cincinnati Reds is an annual Cincinnati tradition. Findlay Market is a gathering place for people from all over the city. It routinely attracts crowds that are socially, economically, racially, and ethnically diverse.
Market District Development
The Findlay Market district is a center of economic activity in Over-the-Rhine. Cincinnati City Council named The Corporation for Findlay Market its Preferred Developer for 39 city-owned properties near the market in June 2006. In 2010, the market became 100% occupied and continues to grow. In 2004, the City of Cincinnati completed a $16 million renovation of the market.
In popular culture
Findlay Market is mentioned in "Oh, Cincinnati," a song by the local band The Seedy Seeds.