Fajardo is a small city in Puerto Rico located in the east region of the island, bordering the Atlantic Ocean, north of Ceiba and east of Luquillo.Fajardo is spread over 7 wards and Downtown Fajardo, which serves as the administrative center of the city. It is both a principal city of the Fajardo Metropolitan Statistical Area and the San Juan-Caguas-Fajardo Combined Statistical Area.
Fajardo is popular among tourists, especially local tourists, because of its seafood, hotels, closeness to the small islands of Palomino, Icacos and Palominito, and the many daily trips that are available to Vieques
, both by boat and by the four airlines that served Fajardo Airport (recently closed): Air Culebra, Air St. Thomas, Isla Nena Air and Vieques Air Link.
Fajardo's beaches are bounded by calm, clear water ideal for snorkeling. Seven Seas Beach offers plentiful water sports facilities, offshore points for sailing, snorkeling and plenty of scuba diving.
Fajardo is also home to one of the few Bioluminescent Lagoons in the World
. Nightly trips are offered by kayak by local companies who give educational tours.
Landmarks and places of interest:
- Las Cabezas de San Juan Light House - One of the oldest lighthouses in Puerto Rico. Only one used for nautical reasons in the entire island.
- Bioluminescent Lagoon - One of the few Bio-Bays in the world.
- Puerto Del Rey Marina - Biggest marina in the Caribbean.
- El Conquistador Resort & Casino - One of Puerto Rico's most luxurious resorts.
- Seven Seas Beach - One of the most beautiful beaches on the island. Classified Blue Flag for its sanitary health guarantees.
- Las Cabezas de San Juan Reserve - Home to mangroves and to the lighthouse.
- Fajardo Port - Used by locals and tourists to visit the island municipalities of Vieques and Culebras.
- Town Square - One of the most charming, antique styled, town squares of Puerto Rico. It has free wireless internet.
- Old Fajardo Sugar Cane Refinery
- Isleta Marina
- Natural Reserve Las Croabas
- Las Croabas Recreational Park
- Hipolito Robles Sports Complex
- Santiago Apostol Cathedral
- Icacos, Palomino and Palominito Cays (islets)
Festivals and Events
- Bicicletada Fajardeña - April
- Kite Festival - April
- Kelly Cup Sailboat Regata - April
- Bomba & Plena Festival - May
- Fiesta Patronales Santiago Apóstol - July
- Paradise Fiesta - August
- Cocolía Festival - November