The Joyce Center is a 9,149-seat multi-purpose arena in Notre Dame, Indiana just north of South Bend, Indiana. The arena opened in 1968. It is home to the University of Notre Dame Fighting Irish basketball and volleyball teams. The main arena is the southern part of the Joyce Center (known as Purcell Pavilion). It housed the hockey rink until October 2011. It also houses the Rolfs Aquatic Center (which was added on in 1985) in the rear of the building. It is located across a pedestrian arcade from Notre Dame Stadium, and the center's two domes could easily be seen rising above the stadium's east side prior to its expansion.
The 10-acre (40,000 m2) building, designed by the renowned sports architects at Ellerbe Architects of Saint Paul, Minnesota, was built in twenty-nine months, and opened the first week of December 1968 as the Athletic & Convocation Center. It was renamed in 1987 to honor the Rev. Edmund P. Joyce, C.S.C., Notre Dame's executive vice president from 1952 to 1987. Prior to the building of the Joyce Center, the basketball team played in the Notre Dame Fieldhouse, which opened in 1900.