The majority of the town's folk worked in the sugar houses, in the fields or in support of the sugar industry. Many families leased land from the Caires and Graugnards on Columbia, cultivating their own produce to sell. The economic history of Edgard included a saw mill operated by Severin Tassin, a brick factory begun in 1878 and several sugar plantations that operated in the century between 1794 and 1894. By 1899, there were more than fifty family-owned sugar houses still in existence. Edgard is a census-designated place (CDP) in and the parish seat of St. John the Baptist Parish, Louisiana, United States. The population was 2,637 at the 2000 census. It is part of the New OrleansMetairieKenner Metropolitan Statistical Area. Edgard is part of the German Coast of Louisiana.