East Greenbush is a town in Rensselaer County, New York, USA. The word Greenbush is derived from the Dutch "Greenen Bosch," referring to the pine woods that originally covered the land. The first settlement of the land now known as East Greenbush was made by tenants under Patroon Kiliaen van Rensselaer around 1630. The town was formed in 1855 as the town of Clinton, the name changing to East Greenbush three years later. It is mostly suburban along its major highways and rural in the southwestern and northeastern corners.