Dunmore is a borough in Lackawanna County, Pennsylvania, adjoining Scranton. Dunmore was settled in 1835 and incorporated in 1862. The population was 14,057 at the 2010 census. Dunmore contains several schools: Dunmore High School, Holy Cross High School formerly known as Bishop O'Hara, and Saint Mary's of Mount Carmel Elementary School.
Dunmore is one of the numerous villages which sprang from the original township of Providence, Pennsylvania. Purchased from the natives in 1754, the territory now embracing this village offered its solitude to the pioneers seeking a home in the wilderness between the Delaware and the Susquehanna rivers until the summer of 1783. At this time, William Allsworth, a shoemaker by trade, who had visited the Connecticut land at Wyoming for the purpose of selecting a place for his home the year previous, reached the point at evening, where he encamped and lit his fire in the forest where Dunmore was thus founded. The need of more places of rest to cheer the emigrants traveling with heavy burdens induced Mr. Allsworth to fix his abode at this spot. Deer and bear were so abundant for many years within sight of his clearing, that his family never trusted to his rifle in vain for a supply of venison or the substantial haunches of the bear.