Added to NRHP: August 18, 1998
The Double Diamond Dude Ranch Dining Hall was built in 1945 as the centerpiece of a dude ranch operated by Frank Williams and Joseph S. Clark, Jr. in Grand Teton National Park. The ranch was opened in 1924 with a dozen tent cabins and log buildings for a kitchen and dining hall, lounge and commissary. In 1943 Williams built log tourist cabins, followed by the larger dining hall in 1945. The 1985 Taggart Lake Fire destroyed much of the ranch, sparing only the dining hall and five cabins. The dining hall is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as an example of rustic architecture.
Since 1970 the Double Diamond property has been a hostel for mountain climbers in the Teton Range, and is known as the Climbers' Ranch.
The1945 dining hall is a one Story U-shaped log building. It features a large stone fireplace and chimney on the north side. The former dining room is now a library and lounge,, while the original commercial kitchen is a communal kitchen and dining area. The exterior is stained a uniform brown. Following local custom, the log chinking is covered with 1/4 pole strips.
The five surviving original cabins (of 15 extant before the fire) are not part of the historic designation. New and relocated cabins have replaced those lost, in locations approximating the missing cabins. Two cabins, designed by Ogden, Utah architect Eber Piers, were moved from the Hunter Hereford Ranch, confusing the local historical context.
The complex, including the dining hall, has been leased to the American Alpine Club since 1970. Renamed the Climbers' Ranch, the facility is a hostel for mountain climbers. The cabins are used for dormitory-style climber accommodations, while the dining hall is a shared facility.