The Des Moines Botanical Center (14 acres / 5.7 hectares) is a botanical garden in central Iowa, located at 909 Robert D. Ray Drive, Des Moines, Iowa, USA, on the east bank of the Des Moines River.Interest in a Des Moines botanical center began in 1929. A city greenhouse was acquired on the west side of the river in 1939, which served the city as a production and display greenhouse until the current Botanical Center was completed in 1979. The Botanical Center is managed and operated at present by the Des Moines Water Works.
Today's Botanical Center includes tropical and sub-tropical plants, cacti, succulents, orchids from high rainfall and arid regions, all collected within a 150' geodesic dome. Large koi, white catfish, turtles, and free-flying birds are also housed within the Dome. Outdoor gardens include water gardens and cascade, with many beds of native plants, herbs, miniature roses, and dwarf conifers.