The Delaware Legislative Hall is the state capitol building of Delaware located in the state capital of Dover on Court Street. It houses the chambers and offices of the Delaware General Assembly.
History and structure :
Old State House :
The original capitol of Delaware was the State House (now known as the Old State House), located on The Green in Dover. It was commissioned originally by Kent County
as the Kent County Court House, and was constructed from 1787 to 1791, when it became the State House. Kent County and the state government shared the building until 1873, when the Kent County government relocated away. The State House was used until the completion of Legislative Hall.
Today, the Old State House has been restored to its 18th-century appearance and is now a museum that includes the site of a former courtroom and the former chambers of the state legislature. The House chamber contains portraits by Thomas Sully of Commodore Jacob Jones and Commodore Thomas Macdonough, Delaware heroes who served in the War of 1812.
Legislative Hall :
Legislative Hall is opposite the Old State House on the mall. The building was designed in the Colonial Revival style by E. William Martin, the architect, under the direction of the State Buildings and Grounds Commission, created by Governor C. Douglass Buck in 1931 during the Great Depression. The structure was completed and dedicated in 1933. From 1965-1970, a north and south wings were added on the sides of the building, giving each member of the Assembly an office in addition to their desk in their chamber. The architect George Fletcher Bennet of Dover designed the expansion.