The Cripple Creek
Narrow Gauge Railroad ( RR) is a narrow gauge heritage railroad that operates seasonal tourist trains between Cripple Creek and Victor, Colorado
. The railroad uses a revitalized section of the original Midland Terminal Railway and the Florence
and Cripple Creek Railway.
Engines in inventory
As of the 2008 season, the railroad operates three coal-fired narrow gauge steam locomotives. Engine #1 is an 0-4-4-0 Orenstein & Koppel articulated mallet built in 1902. Engine #2 is a 0-4-0 Henschel built in 1936. Engine #3 is an 0-4-0 H. K. Porter tank built in 1927. Engine #4 is the W. G. Bagnall 0-4-4-0T, built in 1947; this engine is currently in restorations. The 5th engine is a 1951 General Electric, four wheel, Diesel-Electric engine. The engine is currently being used by the CCVNG track crew.This engine was originally a battery operated for underground mining at the Idarado Mine near Telluride
Although these narrow gauge railroads, when they operated, were laid to 4 ft 8 1⁄2 in (1,435 mm) (standard gauge) and 3 ft (914 mm) (narrow gauge) respectively, the current railroad is laid to a gauge of 2 ft (610 mm). The new CC&VNG RR started operations on June 28, 1967.
The track system begins at Bennett Avenue/5th Street going south out of Cripple Creek, goes past the old Midland Terminal Wye, then over a reconstructed train trestle, continues past some historic mines and finally terminates very near the abandoned Anaconda mining camp. The return trip to Cripple Creek completes a total of four miles.