Court Street – Borough Hall is an underground New York City Subway station complex shared by the BMT Fourth Avenue Line, the IRT Broadway – Seventh Avenue Line and the IRT Eastern Parkway Line. The station is named Borough Hall on the IRT lines and Court Street on the BMT. Located at the intersection of Court, Joralemon and Montague Streets in Downtown Brooklyn, it is served by the:
BMT Fourth Avenue Line platform :
Court Street on the BMT Fourth Avenue Line, opened on March 11, 1920 is a very deep station with two tracks and a single island platform. Due to the depth, both track walls are curved and still have their original Dual Contracts mosaic tablets and trim line. The name tablets have "COURT ST." in serif lettering, and tablets showing scenes of Borough Hall run along the trim line at regular intervals. The western end (railroad north) of the walls are plain white.
This portion of the complex is not ADA-accessible as there are no elevators from the platform or street going to fare control. To the west of the station, the line goes through the Montague Street Tunnel under the East River to connect to the BMT Broadway Line and the BMT Nassau Street Line. Currently, all trains use the former connection.
IRT Broadway Seventh Avenue Line platforms :
Borough Hall on the IRT Broadway – Seventh Avenue Line, opened on April 15, 1919, has two levels. Each level has one track with a side platform on the south side. Manhattan-bound trains use the upper level while southbound trains use the lower one.
Both platforms have their original IRT trim line and name tablets reading "BOROUGH HALL" in a serif lettering style. Tablets showing images of Borough Hall run at regular intervals on the trim line. Dark blue I-beam columns run along both platforms at regular intervals with alternating ones having the standard black station name plate in white lettering.
IRT Eastern Parkway Line platforms :
Borough Hall on the IRT Eastern Parkway Line has two tracks and two side platforms. This was the first underground subway station in Brooklyn, opened on May 1, 1908, as the terminal for the extension of the IRT Lexington Avenue Line from Lower Manhattan. It provided easy access to the BRT elevated Fulton Street Line and Myrtle Avenue Line, although a separate fare had to be paid. The Borough Hall IRT Eastern Parkway Line station has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since September 17, 2004.
- 2 and 4 trains at all times
- 3 and R trains at all times except late nights
- 5 train weekdays from 6:30 a.m. to 8:45 p.m.
- N train late nights
11,115,037 passengers used the station in 2011, making it the busiest in Brooklyn. It is ranked 27th overall.