Elevation: 1699 feet (518 m)
Coulterville (formerly, Maxwell's Creek) is a census-designated place in Mariposa County, California. It is located on Maxwell Creek 20 miles (32 km) northwest of Mariposa. Coulterville had a population of 201 at the 2010 census. It is a mining town located in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada. The ZIP Code is 95311. The community is inside area code 209.
The place was settled in 1850 by George W. Coulter, for whom it is also named. For a time Coulter lived in a tent flying the American Flag, prompting local Mexicans to call the place Bandereta (Spanish for "small flag"). The Maxwell's Creek post office opened in 1852 and changed its name to Coulterville in 1872. The name Maxwell honors George Maxwell, with whom Coulter cast lots to determine the name of the town.