The Concord School House is a historic one-room schoolhouse in the Germantown section of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It is operated today as a museum. Built in 1775 by Jacob Knor, Concord was the first English-language school in Germantown (then an exurb of Philadelphia), built on the corner of the Upper Burial Ground at Washington Lane and Germantown Avenue. It opened to students in October 1775, and served as a school room until 1892.
At a meeting on March 24, 1775, the residents of the upper part of Germantown decided that the Union School (later known as Germantown Academy) was too far for their children to travel, and they needed a schoolhouse of their own. The site beside the Upper Burial Ground was chosen, construction began, and in October 1775, the Concord School was completed. In 1818 a second floor was added as a town meeting room.
The school was supported by subscription and neighbors contributed to the fund, allowing any family that could afford the fee to enroll its children (around $2 per quarter, plus .25 for spelling books), including families of African descent who rented the school house in the 1850s. The origin of the school's name is uncertain. It was perhaps named after the ship Concord which brought the first Dutch and German immigrants to America. An alternate theory is that its foundations were built at the time of the first shot of the American Revolution fired in Concord, Massachusetts. Concord School House is a contributing property of the Colonial Germantown Historic District, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The building retains its original bell and belfry, schoolmaster's desk, books, and even a stool and dunce cap.