Comins Lake was created in 1953 by the realignment of Highway 93, which created the dam for the lake. Access to the reservoir was limited until 1999 when it was acquired by the Department of Wildlife as part of the 3-C Ranch purchase. The reservoir is situated on what is now the Steptoe Valley Wildlife Management Area approximately 7 miles south of Ely. In the 1970's and 1980's, along with trout and bass, the reservoir maintained a population of northern pike.
The pike population crashed and the reservoir was chemically treated in 1989 to further remove any remaining pike. Pike were ILLEGALLY introduced into Comins Lake in the late 1990's and largemouth bass were introduced by NDOW in 2002. Since then, pike have spawned and numbers have greatly increased. Pike predation has nearly, if not completely, eliminated all trout and bass currently from the reservoir.