The Church of the Assumption Catholic Church was dedicated in 1874 and is the oldest existing church in Saint Paul
in the state of Minnesota
(U.S.). It is located at 51 West Seventh Street, in downtown Saint Paul. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The parish was founded in 1856 by Bishop Joseph Crétin.
The first building was a plain stone structure with a wooden steeple on West Ninth Street. The founding pastor was Father George Keller. After Fr. Keller was transferred to Faribault
, Minnesota in 1858, staffing of the parish was met by priests and brothers from St. John's Abbey (Order of St. Benedict) in Collegeville, MN.
By 1869, the parish had outgrown the small chapel, and a new building was urgently needed. The church's construction was ordered by then Archbishop John Ireland
, who wanted the city's growing Catholic German immigrant population to have a parish of their own. It was built in a plain Romanesque style of Lake Superior limestone by German Catholics, and is said to have been modeled after the Ludwigskirche in Munich.
The architect, Joseph Reidel was a court architect for the Wittelsbach family in Bavaria, Germany
. The interior design of the church has remained substantially unchanged since the late 19th century. The statue of the Blessed Virgin Mary in the high altar came from the first church. There are shrines to Thérèse of Lisieux and Maria-Hilf; altars for the Blessed Mother and St. John the Baptist, St. Joseph, and St. Lawrence; tapestries of the Good Samaritan and the Sts. Peter and Clemens Society; and other works of art.