The Church of St. Ignatius of Loyola is a Roman Catholic parish church located on the Upper East Side of Manhattan, New York City, administered by the Society of Jesus (Jesuits). The parish is under the authority of the Archdiocese of New York, and was established in 1851 as St. Lawrence O'Toole's Church. In 1898, permission to change the patron saint of the parish from St. Lawrence O’Toole to St. Ignatius of Loyola was granted by Rome. The address is 980 Park Avenue, New York City, New York 10028.
The church on the southwest corner of Park Avenue and 84th Street is part of a Jesuit complex on the block that includes Wallace Hall, the parish hall, beneath the church, the rectory at the midblock location on Park Avenue, the grade school of St. Ignatius's School on the north midblock location of 84th Street behind the church and the high school of Loyola School (also 980 Park Avenue) at the northwest corner of Park Avenue and 83rd Street. In addition, another Jesuit high school, Regis High School (55 E 84th Street), occupies the midblock location on the north side of 84th Street. The church was added to the National Register of Historic Places on July 24, 1980.
Description of Interior:
The church is constructed of American, European and African marbles, including pink Tennesse, red-veined Numidian, yellow Sienna, pink Algerian marble, white Carrarra marble, Pavonazzo marble; most of the intricate marble work was executed by Betterson and Eisele of New York.
The marble mosaic Stations of the Cross panels were designed by Professor Paoletti for Salviati & Company of Venice, some were publicly exhibited in Turin before installation. The Jesuit statues, including St. Francis Xavier, St. John Francis Regis were carved by the Joseph Sibbel Studio of New York in Carrarra marble. The church is notable for its organ, dedicated in 1993 and built by N.P. Mander of London, “this instrument is New York City’s largest mechanical action (tracker) pipe organ, and the largest mechanical action pipe organ ever to have been built in the British Isles.”