The Canyon Hotel was built in Yellowstone National Park in 1910 by the Yellowstone Park Company to accommodate visitors to the area of the Grand Canyon Of The Yellowstone and Yellowstone Falls. The hotel was built on a huge scale, with a perimeter measurement of one mile. Situated on a hill to the west of the falls, it dominated the landscape. It had an elegant resort-like air when first built. After World War II it was regarded by the National Park Service as outdated. Suffering from neglect, it was abandoned in the late 1950s and was in the process of demolition when it was destroyed by fire in 1960.
First Canyon Hotel
The first hotel was built by the Yellowstone Park Association, a predecessor to the Yellowstone Park Company, opening in May 1886. The prefabricated structure was intended to be a temporary replacement for a tent camping accommodation. This hotel was placed close to the Upper Falls. By agreement with the Department of the Interior, the building was to serve a single season and was to be demolished in August 1886, when construction was to start on a permanent hotel. A sawmill was built and timber was cut and sawn, but no work on the hotel took place until 1889.
Second Canyon Hotel
This second hotel was a plain three-Story wood-framed building with an entrance porch on the long dimension of the building. The 250-room hotel was enlarged with twenty-four more rooms in 1901, when dormers were added to the roof. Foundation troubles, discovered during the original construction, required that rooms in the original section be replastered during the 1901 work.
Third Canyon Hotel
The third hotel was designed by architect Robert Reamer, assisted by Charles A. Popkin, incorporated the old hotel into the new design, but changed its character completely to a long, horizontal structure that flowed along the hillside, anchored by a heavy hipped roof accented by prominent hipped dormers. The new hotel comprised 400 rooms with 100 baths, and measured 750 feet (230 m) in length making it the largest building ever built in Yellowstone.