Camp Plymouth is rich in history from the birth of our nation right up to present day. The Crown Point military road was authorized for construction in 1759 to connect strategic military posts at Fort # 4 in Charlestown, New Hampshire to Crown Point on Lake Champlain. The military road was instrumental in moving troops and supplies in both the French and Indian War and the American Revolution. Later, the road became an important route for commercial traffic. Today, Scout Camp Road follows part of the road’s original route.
A farm was established on part of the property in the 1840s by Amos Pollard. One day in 1850, a young man was fishing in Buffalo Brook and discovered gold there. The man tried to keep his find a secret, but without success. By 1855, it was known as Gold Brook, and a commercial mining operation was set up. Up the stream at the now-abandoned village of Plymouth Five Corners, a mill and crusher were established, and many prospectors flocked to the area.