Washington (originally, Indiana Camp) is a census-designated place located in Nevada County, California. Washington is located on the banks of the South Fork of The Yuba River and has a population of approximately two hundred people. There is a hotel/bar and restaurant, grocery store, a one room schoolhouse that has educated students continuously for one hundred years, and two trailer park campgrounds. The elevation is 3,652 feet (1,113 m). The population was 185 at the 2010 census.
The population fluctuates seasonally and the town businesses rely on the tourist trade as the population increases in the summer. It was settled during the California Gold Rush in 1849 and produced a large amount of placer gold. Hard rock mines were established soon afterword and were very productive. Washington is the only settlement in the vicinity to have survived to this Day. There remains today much evidence of placer gold mining, hydraulic mining, and hard rock mining. During the mining period there were a large number of Chinese living there.
Washington's biggest businesses are its two campsites, Gene's Pine Aire Campground and the River Rest, which has been in business since the 1960s through different owners. The summer sees the campsites usually filled to capacity and reservations are generally required.
The place was founded in 1849 by miners from Indiana, and was originally named Indiana Camp. It was renamed Washington in 1850. The Washington South Yuba post office operated here from 1852 to 1854. The Washington post office opened in 1862.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP covers an area of 1.9 square miles (4.9 km²), all of it land.