The C.A. Thayer is a schooner built in 1895 near Eureka, California. The schooner is now preserved at the San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park. It is one of the few survivors of the sailing schooners in the West coast lumber trade to San Francisco from Washington, Oregon, and Northern California. This boat is used for many class field trips, splitting students up into different crews such as Bosun, Galley, Rigger, Deckhand, and Boat crew. The C.A. Thayer was built by Danish-born Hans Ditlev Bendixsen in his shipyard, located across the narrows of Humboldt Bay from the city of Eureka in Northern California. It was named for Clarence A. Thayer, a partner in the San Francisco-based E.K. Wood Lumber Company.