Brownstown is a town in Brownstown Township, Jackson County, Indiana, United States. The population was 3,000 at the 2000 census. The city is the county seat of Jackson County. It was named for Jacob Brown, a General of the War of 1812. The town of Brownstown was founded 8 April 1816, notably prior to the statehood of Indiana itself. Brownstown became the county seat of Jackson County in November 1816, replacing Fort Vallonia, which had only been the county seat since June of that year. The land for the Jackson County Court House, which rests in the heart of Brownstown on the square, was donated by Col. John Ketcham (17821865) for this specific function.