The 3,576-acre park is located in the Taconic Mountains on the shores of Lake Bomoseen, the largest lake entirely within Vermont’s borders. The Taconics are the slate-producing region of Vermont, and the area's history parallels the rise and fall of Vermont's slate industry.
The park contains several quarry holes and their adjacent colorful slate rubble piles as reminders of this period. These quarries provided slate for the West Castleton Railroad and Slate Company, a complex of 60 to 70 buildings that stood between Glen Lake and Lake Bomoseen. Several slate buildings and foundations remain in the park. A self-guided Slate History Trail leads hikers through remnants of this bygone era.
Part of the area comprising the park was owned by the Lake Shore Slate Co., owned and operated by Samuel L. Hazard. When Mr. Hazard passed away in 1929 the remaining property was left to his stepdaughter, Martha Warren. Mrs. Warren lived there year round, before making it her summer home. In 1959 she donated approximately 365 acres of land and included buildings to the State for recreational purposes and as a refuge and sanctuary for wildlife. A collection of historical objects is located in Mrs. Warren’s former home, which also includes the Park Ranger’s quarters.