The BoiseIdaho Temple is the 29th constructed and 27th operating temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Located in the city of Boise, Idaho it was built with a sloping roof & six-spire design. It has a total of 35,325 square feet (3,281.8 sq m), four ordinance rooms, and four sealing rooms.
Mormon leaders discussed building a temple in the western part of Idaho as early as 1939. But with the majority of Mormon membership in the eastern part of Idaho, the leaders decided against it and concentrated on building the Idaho Falls Idaho Temple. Forty-five years later, on March 31, 1982, Church leaders announced that a temple would be built in the Boise area. The temple site is located near an exit from Interstate 84 and is very visible to those traveling along the highway and is also a visible landmark for pilots at the nearby airport.
Seventy thousand visitors were expected to tour the temple during the nineteen-day open house. Instead, over 128,000 attended. Because of the open house, interest in the Church increased. The Boise Idaho Temple was dedicated May 25, 1984 by Gordon B. Hinckley. After the dedication, attendance at the temple was much higher than expected. So in October 1986, the temple was closed for renovation. After opening in 1987, the temple was able to serve more than 100,000 members in southwestern Idaho and part of eastern Oregon.