Baker Ranger Station was established in 1911 at the edge of Baker, Nevada to administer U.S. government lands in White Pine County, Nevada. The original 80 acres (32 ha) plot was first known as the Baker Administrative Site, becoming a year-round ranger station in 1918 for the Baker Ranger District of Nevada National Forest.
The compound became a guard station and work site with the division of Nevada National Forest into Humboldt and Toiyabe National Forests in 1957. In 1986 Great Basin National Park was established and the station was transferred to the National Park Service as an administrative center for the park.
The complex was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1995.