Court House National Historical Park is a National Historical Park of original and reconstructed nineteenth century buildings in Virginia
. It was signed into law August 3, 1935. The village was made a national monument in 1940 and a national historical park in 1954. It is located three miles (5 km) east of Appomattox, Virginia, the location of the Appomattox Station and the "new" Appomattox Court House. It is in the center of the state about 25 miles (40 km) east of Lynchburg
The village is famous as the site of the Battle of Appomattox Court House and containing the house of Wilmer McLean
, where the surrender of the Confederate Army under Robert E. Lee to Union commander Ulysses S. Grant took place on Palm Sunday April 9, 1865, effectively ending the American Civil War. The historical park was described in 1989 as having an area of 1,325 acres (536 ha).