Anshei Sphard Beth El Emeth Congregation is a Modern Orthodox synagogue located in suburban East Memphis, Tennessee. Anshei Sphard Beth El Emeth Congregation (ASBEE) was formed by the 1966 merger of Anshei Sphard and Beth El Emeth, two Memphis Orthodox congregations with 19th century roots.
Beth El Emeth was formed in 1861 by a group of dissatisfied members from the B'nai Israel Congregation (now Temple Israel). These members objected to B'nai Israel's move toward Reform Judaism. Their new congregation, guided by Rabbi Jacob Peres, who had been B'nai Israel's first rabbi, was committed to maintaining the "minhag Polen" (traditions of the Polish Jews).
Yellow fever epidemics in the 1870s affected the congregation'e leadership; its rabbi, Ferdinand Sarner, died in 1878, and Jacob Peres died in 1879. Lacking leadership, the congregation merged back into B'nai Israel (which had become a Reform congregation), but a number of Orthodox members left, some joining Baron Hirsch Synagogue, some maintaining an identity as Beth El Emeth. In 1916, B'nai Israel left its building on Poplar Street for a larger one, and the Orthodox membership of Beth El Emeth took over the facility, where they remained until 1957.
Beth El Emeth's cemetery, which had been sold to B'nai Israel, eventually became the cemetery for Baron Hirsch Synagogue. Anshei Sphard was organized in 1893, chartered in 1904, and located in the Pinch district of Memphis until 1948. It was originally formed by a group of Polish Jews wishing to observe Sephardic traditions. Anshei Sphard purchased land for a cemetery in 1907.