The Angels Landing Trail and the West Rim Trail were built in 1926 following the completion of the East Rim Trail. The Angels Landing trail climbs a sandstone spine, providing rails and chain handholds for a 300-foot (91 m) climb in .5 miles (0.80 km). It joins the West Rim Trail, built in 1925-26 and extended in 1935. Both trails were planned by Thomas Chalmers Vint of the NPS Branch of Plans and Design and Walter Ruesch, the Zion Park building foreman. Reusch lent his name to Walter's Wiggles, a series of 21 switchbacks.
The trails were listed on the National Register of Historic Places on February 14, 1987, reference number 86003707.